Building & Code Enforcement

Home Improvement Guide

If you are planning to make additions, improvements or alterations to your home or property, a permit is required.  The Home Improvement Guide will assist homeowners in determining the steps they need to follow to obtain a permit.  The guide explains some of the Village regulations regarding home improvements and also answers some of the most frequently asked questions.

Federal law requires contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978 to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.  Ask to see your contractor’s certification prior to beginning any renovation project.   For more information, please see the U.S. EPA’s brochure Renovate Right. Contractors can learn more about how to meet these requirements by visiting  For more information, please see the U.S. EPA’s Lead Safety Brochure for contractors during renovation.

Commercial Building Permit Guide

The Commercial Permit Guide will acquaint you with our process and provide you with building permit submittal information.  The goal of this guide is to help owners, contractors and design professionals understand the Village of Huntley building permit submittal requirements and the process for the issuance of building permits.  If you read and follow this guide it can help to provide expedient permit processing and issuance.


The Village of Huntley has the following hours for construction:
Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday and Holidays: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Building Permits and Inspections

Building permits and inspections are required to allow the Development Services Department, Building and Code Enforcement Division, the ability to ensure that each project meets the minimum requirements of the adopted building, electric and plumbing codes. The way we do this is through plan review and inspections. These processes provide the means for the Development Services Department to protect the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction.

Below is a list of some of the more common projects that require a building permit.   This is not an all inclusive list.  As always, if in doubt, contact the Development Services Department at 847-515-5252.

Air Conditioners
Basement Remodeling / Finishing
Drainage Improvements

Driveways and Driveway Ribbons
Electrical System Installations
Electrical Service Updates
Fire Pits

Hot Water Heaters
Irrigation System Installations

New Buildings
Pergolas / Gazebos
Plumbing Systems
Ponds (24" deep and over)
Radon Reduction Systems

Second water meters
Sewer Repair/Clean Out
Service walks
Solar Panel Installation

Sun Rooms / Three Season Rooms
Swimming Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs


Ordinance and Fees

Applications and Forms

Scheduling Building Inspections

Most permits have required inspections. Have your permit number ready when
you call 847-515-5252 to schedule. You must call by 2 p.m. to schedule for the next business day. We do not provide same-day inspections and we do not allow roughs and finals to be scheduled for the same day.

Inspection Types

Exterior surface projects such as driveways, patios and sidewalks require a base inspection and a final after all work is completed. Fences, decks and pergolas require a post hole inspection and a final. Decks also require a rough framing inspection prior to floor boards being installed. Air conditioners, furnaces and water heaters require a final inspection upon completion.

Please contact the Development Services Department for any questions regarding permit and inspection requirements such as pools, sheds, interior remodels and any other project.

Residential Backflow Preventer Testing

A residential backflow preventer is a device that is designed to stop water from a home’s fire suppression or lawn irrigation line from entering a home’s drinkable water supply.  Without a backflow preventer, a loss of water pressure could result in dangerous materials being siphoned into the drinking water.  The key to preventing contamination from entering your home’s water supply is to have the backflow preventer tested annually.  In fact, the annual testing of backflow devices is required by the Village, State and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).  An approved cross connection inspector is required to conduct the annual test using calibrated gauge equipment to ensure the device is working properly.  The Village Board has approved a program that allows residents to have their backflow preventers tested by the Village’s Development Services Department for the cost of $65 for one, and $85 for both fire and lawn irrigation devices tested at the same address and on the same day. Please contact the Development Services Department at 847-515-5249 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

*It is not mandatory to use the Village of Huntley to perform the annual test; any Illinois Cross Connection Control Device Inspector that is registered with the Village can conduct the test.


The Village follows the 2012 International Property Maintenance Code, with local amendments.  The code addresses both residential and nonresidential structures, and establishes minimum standards for the maintenance of buildings and properties.


All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 8 inches.  All noxious weeds are prohibited.  Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plant and vegetation, other than trees and shrubs, provided however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.  Agricultural land shall be exempt from this requirement as long as it is zoned farm or agricultural and is actually farmed, cultivated, and in crop production.  Undeveloped property not zoned for residential use shall be maintained as follows:  (a) within forty (40) feet of the road right-of-way and within forty (40) feet of all occupied adjoining properties all weeds and plant growth must be maintained at a height of 8 inches or less (b) all weed or plant growth more than forty (40) feet from any road right-of-way or occupied adjoining property may be maintained at a height of 18 inches (c) State or federally protected and identified floodways are exempt from these requirements.