Prepare your Home for Winter
It is the perfect time to prepare for the upcoming winter months. Be ready - consider the following tips for winterizing your home:Below are steps you can take to help keep your pipes from freezing:
- Disconnect and drain all garden hoses.
- Make sure all spigots are turned off, even those inside garages. If your spigots have an inside shut off valve: shut the water off and completely drain any remaining water from the spigot. Turn the spigot off.
- Winterize your lawn irrigation system
Always turn off the water to your home whenever you will be gone for any length of time. In the event of broken pipes, a broken toilet seal, or other water emergencies, this can save you thousands of dollars in water bills and damage to your home.If you plan on being away from your home for more than several days:
- Turn off the main shut-off valve for the water (found before the water meter inside your home). If you have a fire protection sprinkler system, this will become deactivated when you shut off the water.
- Leave the heat in your home at a minimum of 55 degrees.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to pipes under sinks and along exterior walls.
If you will be leaving town for the winter, have your home professionally winterized.
Stay warm and enjoy the winter season!