lateral entry candidate screening and application period
Applications for lateral entry police officer are being accepted through Friday, September 23rd. Inclusion in any lateral entry candidate screening process shall be based upon the relative excellence of the candidates reflecting qualifications above the stated minimum qualifications and hiring needs of the Huntley Police Department at the time of review.
Click HERE for required documents and checklist that must be submitted with your application.
Candidates for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- Must have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy and possess certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or be qualified to take the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board "Out of State Reciprocity" requirements to include:
- Mandatory Firearms Training
- Law for Illinois Police
- Equivalency Exam
- Citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old.
- Education – High School diploma or its equivalent and an Associate’s Degree (Associate’s Degree requirement waived if at least 60 credits have been completed towards a Bachelors Degree or for qualifying military service).
- Experience – at least 2 years’ experience as a full-time sworn, certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years preceding the date of application. Municipal experience preferred.
- Applicant must be in good standing in the police department in which the person serves, or laid off due to budgetary restraints.
- Must have no felony convictions and be of good moral character.
- Possess substantially equivalent skills and abilities of a Village of Huntley Police Officer who has completed the probationary period, as determined by the Village.
- Possession of an Illinois Driver's License and the ability to obtain a Firearm/Weapon License
Lateral Entry Candidate Screening
There is no guarantee of an interview or further consideration for candidates submitting an application. Inclusion in any lateral entry candidate screening process shall be based upon the relative excellence of the candidates reflecting qualifications above the stated minimum qualifications and the hiring needs of the Department at the time of review.
The examinations of lateral entry candidates shall be job-related and practical in character and relate to those matters which will fairly test the capacity of the persons examined to successfully discharge the duties of the position.
The initial examination of candidates may include:
- Oral interview(s)
- Background investigation, including credit check
- Polygraph exam
Candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment may be required to pass the following:
- Psychological exam
- Medical exam, including drug screening
Lateral hire applicants who have met all hiring prerequisites and successfully completed the pre-screening review and oral examination will be placed upon a “Final Eligibility Register for Lateral Entry” based upon their scores on the pre-screening review and oral examination.
- Candidates who are eligible for veteran or educational preference points, shall make a claim in writing with proof thereof within ten (10) days after the date of the eligibility list posting, or such claim shall be deemed waived.
- Upon recommendation by the interview committee, qualified candidates may receive a conditional offer of employment and participate in additional post-offer screenings and examinations.
- Candidates must receive a satisfactory evaluation or recommendation on each screening or examination in order to proceed in the selection process. Failure to achieve a satisfactory evaluation on any screening or examination shall result in immediate disqualification from further consideration.
Seniority: Newly-hired officers shall not be granted seniority benefits, but shall be simply treated as newly-hired employees for the purpose of seniority.