Village of Huntley
For ResidentsFor BusinessesGovernmentDeparmentsEconomic DevelopmentFAQ'sNewscontactsHome



If you are planning to make additions, improvements or alterations to your home or property, a permit is required.  The HOME IMPROVEMENT GUIDE will assist homeowners in determining the steps they need to follow to obtain a permit.  The guide explains some of the Village regulations regarding home improvements and also answers some of the most frequently asked questions.

Home Improvement Guide


Federal law requires contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978 to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.  Ask to see your contractor’s certification prior to beginning any renovation project. 

For more information, please see the U.S. EPA’s brochure Renovate Right


The purpose and intent of this “Permit Guide” is to acquaint you with our process and provide you with building permit submittal information.  The goal of this guide is to help owners, contractors and design professionals understand the Village of Huntley building permit submittal requirements and the process for the issuance of building permits.  If you read and follow this guide it can help to provide expedient permit processing and issuance.

Commercial Permit Guide

Contractors performing work that disturbs lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified by the EPA and follow specific work practices to avoid lead contamination.  Contractors can learn more about how to meet these requirements by visiting

For more information, please see the U.S. EPA’s Lead Safety Brochure for contractors during renovation.





Building permits and inspections are required to allow the Development Services Department, Building and Code Enforcement Division, the ability to ensure that each project meets the minimum requirements of the adopted building, electric and plumbing codes. The way we do this is through plan review and inspections. These processes provide the means for the Development Services Department to protect the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction.

Below is a list of some of the more common projects that require a building permit.   This is not an all inclusive list.  As always, if in doubt, contact the Development Services Department at 847-515-5252.


Air Conditioners*
Basement Remodeling / Finishing


Driveways and Driveway Ribbons

Electrical System Installations
Electrical Service Updates

Hot Water Heaters*
Irrigation System Installations
Lawn Irrigation

New Buildings

Pergolas / Gazebos

Plumbing Systems

Ponds (24" deep and over)


Second water meters*
Sewer Repair/Clean Out

Service walks*
Sun Rooms / Three Season Rooms
Swimming Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs

*Generally, these permits may be issued over the counter while you wait.  For example, exterior structures on corner lots require additional review time and are not available over the counter.



Business Registration
All businesses in the Village of Huntley are required to be registered. Vending machines must also be registered with the Village.

Annual Business Registration Application/Renewal Form

Contractor Registration
All contractors doing work or rendering service in Huntley are required to be registered with the Village. Registration forms can be obtained by contacting the Development Services Department.

Contractor Registration Application Form


Scheduling a Building Inspection

The building permit number is required in order to schedule an inspection.  Calls received by 12:00 p.m. (noon) will be scheduled for the next business day.  Inspections may be scheduled by calling (847) 515-5252.  If an inspection is scheduled and you realize you will not be ready for the inspection, please call immediately to cancel.


Visit or call the Development Services Department for an explanation of the permit and inspection requirements for your specific project. 


Residential Backflow Preventer Testing
A residential backflow preventer is a device that is designed to stop water from a home’s fire suppression or lawn irrigation line from entering a home’s drinkable water supply.  Without a backflow preventer, a loss of water pressure could result in dangerous materials being siphoned into the drinking water.  The key to preventing contamination from entering your home’s water supply is to have the backflow preventer tested annually.  In fact, the annual testing of backflow devices is required by the Village, State and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).  An approved cross connection inspector is required to conduct the annual test using calibrated gauge equipment to ensure the device is working properly.  The Village Board has approved a program that allows residents to have their backflow preventers tested by the Village’s Development Services Department for the cost of $65 for one, and $85 for both fire and lawn irrigation devices tested at the same address and on the same day. Please contact the Development Services Department at 847-515-5249 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

*It is not mandatory to use the Village of Huntley to perform the annual test; any Illinois Cross Connection Control Device Inspector that is registered with the Village can conduct the test.



The Village follows the 2012 International Property Maintenance Code, with local amendments.  The code addresses both residential and nonresidential structures, and establishes minimum standards for the maintenance of buildings and properties.

All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 8 inches.  All noxious weeds are prohibited.  Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plant and vegetation, other than trees and shrubs, provided however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.  Agricultural land shall be exempt from this requirement as long as it is zoned farm or agricultural and is actually farmed, cultivated, and in crop production.  Undeveloped property not zoned for residential use shall be maintained as follows:  (a) within forty (40) feet of the road right-of-way and within forty (40) feet of all occupied adjoining properties all weeds and plant growth must be maintained at a height of 8 inches or less (b) all weed or plant growth more than forty (40) feet from any road right-of-way or occupied adjoining property may be maintained at a height of 18 inches (c) State or federally protected and identified floodways are exempt from these requirements.

More information on Huntley's property maintenance regulations


2012 International Building Code, with amendments

2012 International Residential Code, with amendments

2012 International Plumbing Code, with amendments

2014 Illinois Plumbing Code, with amendments   

2012 International Mechanical Code, with amendments

2012 International Property Maintenance Code, with amendments

2011 National Electric Code, with amendments

2015 State of Illinois Energy Conservation Code

Click here for the current amendments to the above listed Building Regulations


Village of Huntley 10987 Main Street Huntley, IL 60142 PHONE: 847-669-9600 Location Contacts